New Delhi 110067
jithinbp [at] gmail [dot] com
|2007||Secondary school examination (X), CBSE, The Mother’s International school,|
New Delhi, Aggregate – 91.4%.
|2009||Higher secondary school examination (XII), CBSE, The Mother’s International|
school, New Delhi, Aggregate – 87.8%
|2014||Masters in Physics from Indian Institute of Science Education and Research,|
Mohali, CGPA at the end of 10 Semesters – 7.5.
|2007||Awarded Junior Science Talent Search Examination(JSTSE) Scholarship by Dte of Edu., Govt. of New Delhi .|
|2008||Awarded Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana(KVPY) Scholarship by Dept. of Sc. and Tech., Govt. of India .|
|2007-2009||Won several awards for Programming and Robotics events at Tech fests in Delhi-NCR|
|2012,14||Volleyball and Football gold medallist at Inter IISER sports meets held at IISER Kolkata and Pune|
|Year||Conferences and Camps|
|July-2008||Attended Vijyoshi Camp in association with KVPY at IISc Bangalore|
|Oct-2009||Vijyoshi camp by JNCASR in association with KVPY at JNU, New Delhi|
|Dec-2011||Scipy.in for Scientific Computing, IIT Bombay. Sponsored by Enthought, FOSSEE, and MHRD|
|Dec-2014||Speaker. Scipy.in for Scientific Computing, IIT Bombay. Sponsored by Enthought, FOSSEE, and MHRD|
|Area||Computer Skills (Github)|
- Developed several open source applications for data acquisition and analysis.
- Point Contact Andreev Reflection Spectroscopy, AC Susceptometry, Virtual Lab, PID control, Cryostat Magnet Control …
- Various Simulations using Numpy, Scipy, OpenCV .
- Parallel Processing as well as Distributive computing.
- Familiar with leveraging supercomputing clusters effectively.
- Other works include remote data acquisition via TCP sockets as well as XMPP based connections.
- Well versed in interfacing scientific equipment with protocols such as GPIB, PCI-e, USB and TCP/UDP.
- Software development for the vLabtool. Includes real time data acquisition , analysis, and visualization.
Pointers, linked lists, structures , dynamic memory allocation and file handling
Applications developed range from an MS-DOS based CAD application and indie games, to fluid mechanics and ODE solvers.
- Quite familiar with 16 and 8-bit MCUs from Microchip. Have used them in conjunction with analog circuitry to develop low cost test and measurement equipment.
- Have also worked with developing firmware for a Multi Channel Analyzer based on an ATMEGA32 chipset
- Getting acquianted with the ESP8266 low cost Wi-Fi chipset
- Working experience with a host of high end tools from KEITHLEY, Lakeshore, AMI,
RHK, and SRS.
- Have developed dedicated standalone applications for transport and
spectroscopic measurements as part of my Master’s Thesis work.
- Presently working on an educational toolsuite targeted at physics and electronics
- Driven towards using open-source tools wherever possible, instead of restrictive and proprietary environments such as LabVIEW
- Experience includes TCP/UDP, GPIB, USBTMC, RS-232, EUSART, SPI, I2C and IR
- Classes, pointers, stacks, queues and dynamic memory allocation.
Go to My Google Play Store Showcase
- Running ExpEYES on Android devices with USB OTG
- An Android based web server for ExpEYES
- A Data Logger for Instruments that use SCPI commands and have Ethernet Connectivity. Real time plots from this application have proven to be extremely useful while adjusting needle valves on cryostats to their optimum levels .
- Ubuntu is my go-to OS for just about all my software and coding needs.
- Familiar with a variety of distros including Fedora, SUSE, Mint, and Slackware
- Kernel compilation for A13 based tablets, Raspberry Pi, and custom Real Time Schedulers
- Cloud setup with NFS sharing and NIS authentication
- Applications developed include A Drag and Drop programming interface, Webapps for scientific equipment, and embedded HTML in Qt Apps.
- I also designed this website, so you can add a fair amount of WordPress familiarity to the list
- LibreOffice / Open Office
- CGI, and SHELL scripting
Authored an interactive C program to create 3D drawings using basic shapes such as lines,
circles, and polygons with textures. Employs dynamic memory allocation ,structures, and
basic trigonometry to rotate the models.
Atmega32 based line follower developed for the science fair at The Mother’s International School
Authored C++ based football video game with 8-bit VGA graphics. Standard Human Vs.
Computer mode where the PC is capable of making decisions to coordinate its players.
Thin film deposition of Iron-Gold alloy films by using electro-deposition and subesquent Characterisation using X-ray diffraction and atomic force microscopy
Worked on developing a fully open source framework for controlling instruments remotely.
Successfully hosted a resistivity measurement setup using instruments from Lakeshore and Keithley on the Intranet. A real time plot server for web browsers was developed with
Mod-Python and python-PSP. An oscilloscope interface was also made as part of this project.
Learnt about the design and construction of the instrument from its developers, and obtained atomic resolution scans of HOPG. Visited the manufacturing facility.
developed firmware for an Atmega32 based MCA developed at Inter University Accelerator Centre.
Coded features include segregation based on peak energy, reading and writing from CMOS memory, and USB communication . Developed a Python-Tk based GUI capable of spectrum analysis, calibration, porting data to XmGrace etc. Calibration was carried out using Co-60 .
Characterized crystal oscillators using a network analyser at The Ultra low temperature lab, IISER Mohali.
Developed electronics for driving a Geiger Muller tube, and also wired and
set up a Photomultiplier tube at IUAC, New Delhi.
Extracted Thorium from Thorium nitrate for educational experiments.
- Pulsed laser deposition of YBCO, and SrRuo3 thin films. Sputter deposition of copper on insect wings for piezo response force microscopy.
- Developed data acquisition software for superconductivity transition measurements using Lock-in amplifiers.
- Compiled RTOS linux kernel a with low latency desktop for running PID loops for stabilizing tunnelling currents in STMs. Set up COMEDI drivers to access the NI6259 DAQ card, and tested its input/output capabilities .
Implemented a CherryPy based web server which hosts a completely dynamic, Jquery
and AJAX based website to allow control and monitoring of various parts of the particle
accelerators via the control system. Supports authentication and user defined pages.
|Coursework Related Projects|
Simulation of ideal gases mixing in an adiabatic box, and extracting thermodynamic data
such as pressure and velocity distribution.
Allows configuring equations for X,Y and Z directions. Lorentz attractor equations fed as
Also Simulated fractals such as the Mandelbrot set, Barnsley fern, Sierpinski triangle,and Julia set .
Made a sealed can for using at liquid nitrogen temperatures. Implemented a software PID loop in Python which was capable of stabilizing the temperature within a 25 milliKelvin error.
tested from 77K to 100K. Temperature was measured using a diode thermometer connected to a KEITHLEY 2000 multimeter.
Measured the temperature dependence of a carbon film resistor .
Simulated results of the BTK theory of transport phenomena across a metal-superconductor interface by using Python-Numpy and PyGrace .
Wrote interactive code to observe changes in transmission and reflection probabilities with respect to the insulating barrier width.
Developed an OpenCV based Python program to monitor a torsion pendulum in real time
and hosted a dynamic web page to monitor oscillation plots and video feed with Drupal
CMS , Java script and Python-PSP.
Custom diffraction grating using an SLM.
Dismantled a slide projector in order to use the Spatial light modulator(SLM) as a PC
controlled diffraction grating.
I worked on my Masters thesis during the Academic Year 2013-2014.
During the course of this, I had the opportunity to use and develop several instruments, as well as learn several techniques dealing with low-temperature, high vacuum environment physics.
I also developed software and probes for Point Contact Andreev Reflection Spectroscopy, as Well as a room temperature Scanning Tunneling Microscope.
The abstract as well as the full text of my thesis is displayed here.
|Hobby Projects, and Open Source Contributions|
A cost effective, multi-pronged data acquisition tool aimed at schools and colleges . Equipped with a Python Library and several Apps for innovative experiments.
This was an effort spread over a few months, and rightfully has about twenty different pages dedicated to it on this website.
Please choose from the pulldown menu above titled ‘A versatile Labtool’.
Or head over to the intro page.
Spread over about six months, this project has its own page here
This work was presented at Scipy.in, an Intl. Conf. on Scientific Computing in 2014.
The tool-suite, among other things, includes an oscilloscope, a logic analyzer, several waveform generators, and the ability to interface with a wide variety of digital and analog sensors using a Python library running on a connected device.
Developed and published on the Play Store, Android applications for connected expEYES
devices. Implemented several experiments such as RLC , Diode IV, and Transistor CE
characteristics. Includes general purpose test and measurement features and a four channel
oscilloscope interface. One touch data analysis tools such as peak detection and curve
Published a remote server application for controlling several ExpEYES devices via WiFi.
Was very useful for monitoring temperature changes over time while adjusting needle valves on cryostats with dynamic VTIs.
Based on a Jquery+AJAX frontend, and a CherryPy,Linux-GPIB,OpenCV,Python-usbtmc Backend.
Used for data acquisition and manipulation from webcams, GPIB and USB devices on the
Logs video clips. Alerts over GChat IRC using xmpppy.
Enables users with Expeyes, a Raspberry Pi with a wifi dongle, and a wifi enabled phone to conduct experiments.
Simulated the Ising model using the supercomputing cluster via multiprocessing in Python
An ATMEGA32 based device Developed for the IISER Mohali quiz club.
Lists the teams in order of pressing the buzzer.
Python-xmpp based program maintains a database of all potential funders, and allows
multiple fund collectors to update and query contributions easily over chat clients
|Other Skills and Interests|
|Languages||English , Hindi, Malayalam, Basic French|
|Music||Sangeet Bhushan final awarded by Pracheen kala kendra for vocal classical. 1st|
division with distinction (2004)
|Flautist in the Raga symphony Orchestra – Performed at Auroville|
|Guitarist – Performed at Antaragni, and various cultural evenings at IISER|
|Sports||Football, Volleyball, Badminton|